Most people know that eating fruits and vegetables is important for good health, but most of us still aren’t getting enough. This September, the C.W. WIEBE MEDICAL CENTRE is excited to participate in a FRUITS & VEGGIE CHALLENGE.
Eating a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits can help you:
- Lower your risk for heart disease and some types of cancer
- Maintain or reach a healthy weight
- Keep your body strong and active
Here are some ideas to help you and your family fit more fruits and vegetables into your day:
- Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the whole family can see it.
- Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time so they’re ready for quick, healthy snacks.
- Challenge your family to try a new veggie or fruit every week.
Remember, eating more fruits and veggies can be fun – and it’s worth it!
For the month of September, staff and physicians have been challenged to keep track of the fruits and veggies they are eating. Participants have been organized into teams and points are given for each serving of fruit or vegetable eaten. The team with the most points at the end of the month WINS!
You can do your own challenge at home!
Print your TRACKER SHEET and a LIST of helpful suggestions on fruits and veggies to get started! Keep track of how many servings of fruits or vegetables you eat daily and aim for 7-9 per day. See who can win the challenge in your family!
- You can also check out Canada’s Food Guide for more ideas and guidelines on healthy eating.
HAVE FUN AND GET HEALTHY!