SUPERVISOR: Lab Supervisor
HOURS: Full time – 37.5 + hours/week
STARTING WAGE: $19.14
This position exists to perform a series of detailed technical duties related to decontamination, reassembly, functionality testing, sterilization, and distribution of medical and/or surgical supplies and medical devices for surgical services at CW Wiebe Medical Centre in accordance with the CPSM Accreditation Standards.
Essential Functions And Basic Duties:
Duties and functions include but are not limited to the following:
- In accordance with Infection Prevention & Control, decontamination, sterilization, aseptic technique, and established policies, procedures, WS&H, and WHMIS.
- Receives, sorts, disassembles, cleans, decontaminates, sterilizes, assembles, wraps, and reassembles all trays, medical devices, carts, supplies, and equipment related to the operating room (OR) and/or other areas of the hospital and /or region
- Identifies and reports to the supervisor damaged or malfunctioning medical devices, equipment, and supplies.
- Loads and operates decontamination and sterilizing equipment; monitors equipment operation and performs standard quality assurance tests on effectiveness on both the decontamination and sterilization processes in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Maintains an awareness of the subtle complexities of the instruments from all of the specialties.
- Maintains an understanding of and adheres to Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures.
- Anticipates surgical requirements for surgical cases on current and future shifts.
- Preparing instrument bundles for the surgical procedure rooms
- Handling, transporting, stores, and rotates sterile and non-sterile supplies throughout the facility. Must apply inventory rotation and sterility maintenance principles.
- Transports soiled surgical instruments and equipment, while ensuring infection control principles are followed.
- Receives, fills, and delivers urgent and routine requests for medical devices, supplies, and equipment for the surgical procedure rooms and/or other patient care areas.
- Operates processing machines and performs related monitoring and recording duties
- Receives, fills, delivers and records requests for standard equipment and supplies; reports ad records shortages, problems and complaints of same
- Interacts in person and/or on the telephone with surgical procedure room personnel to ensure supply issues are met.
- Critical problem solving and decision making is required including: prioritization of which instrument to process to meet surgical requirement; dialoging with surgical staff regarding missing instruments; and determining that equipment is functional prior to preparing for sterilization
- Completes required process documentation.
- Monitor for routine cleaning of workstations, storage areas, processing machines and equipment
- Contributes to making the organization safe for patients, residents, clients and staff, and recognizes the importance of reporting unsafe situations and participating in follow up reviews as a learning opportunity.
- Performs other duties as assigned
• MDR Certification through the Medical Device Reprocessing Association of Ontario (MDRAO) (training will be provided)